NOTE ABOUT ONLINE EXAMS
- WB5QNG / Allan R Batteiger, has received permission of the W5YI VEC to conduct completely online video-supervised testing with strict rules and protocols for maintaining the integrity of the testing environment.
- hamstudy.org/sessions/wb5qng will give you a current list of sessions. If there is a opening it will allow you to register.
Prepare the following before your online exam session:
❏ Exam Fee Payment: You must pay the $14 exam fee in advance electronically through via Cash App($AllanBatteiger), Vemo, Zelle, or Credit Card by clicking the pay now button ). Please wait till you have registered for an exam and received directions to pay. If you pay in advance it will make it more difficult to locate your payment at exam time. I normally send out directions the day of the exam.
❏ PHOTO ID: A legal photo ID will need to be shown on camera to the VE Team. For online sessions the VE Team will only accept driver’s license,passport for adults or any government issued ID.
Under-18 students may show either of the above items, or student shows a school ID or report card and a legal guardian presents a photo ID.
❏ Federal Registration Number (FRN): This must be submitted on the exam application. If you do not have an FRN number, you will be able to register for one when you register for the exam. You can also do it yourself by visiting the FCC’s Registration page and clicking “Register for an FRN.”
❏ Exam Application: When you register for the exam (at https://hamstudy.org/sessions) you will be generating a 605 application you will receive a link to your specific exam session . Your application will generate a 4-digit access code you need to take the test later.
❏ License Upgrading: If you plan to take the General or Amateur Extra exam, you must have an copy of your current amateur radio license or any Certificate of Successful Completion of Examination (CSCE) you may hold from previous exam sessions. Your name on the registration must exactly match the name on your FCC license. Any change of name requires documentation to be submitted to the FCC.
❏ Prepare your computer and cell phone camera: The VE Team must ensure the integrity of the test delivery system. Be sure your computer and phone can handle these parameters.
- ❏ You must have a working computer with web cam, microphone, speaker (NO HEADSETS) and cell phone camera with audio muted. MacOS requires that you unlock zoom before the screen can be shared.
- ❏ Your computer and phone must be connected to the Internet with reliable service.
- ❏ You must download and test-run Zoom on computer and phone.
- ❏ Temporarily disable any chat, alerts, blue tooth, virtual screens, or pop-up apps.
- ❏ Be sure the computer and phone are plugged in or fully charged .
- ❏ You must have only one screen or monitor on the computer. Remove any additional monitors, or take a single laptop into a different room. The VE team may end the exam immediately for non-compliance.
- ❏ You may optionally have a computer calculator app on your screen during the exam. Load it in advance if you need it. No other applications or browser windows are permitted to be open.
- ❏ Documents are now signed as part of the exam. The exam site have you digitally sign all documents.
❏ Prepare your exam room: The VE Team must ensure the integrity of the test environment. Be sure you can take the exam uninterrupted.
- ❏ You must not have in the exam room any other people or pets other than a registered service dog.
- ❏ Clear the room of all non-exam materials, notes, books, posters, computer screens, or anything that could aid in taking the exam.
- ❏ Clear your exam table and floor of ALL items within reach or view that would raise suspicion, such as papers, sticky notes, electronic items, headphones, waste baskets, and anything unnecessary for the exam.
- ❏ Clear the room of any distracting things that could take your attention off of the exam.
- ❏ Warn family members not to enter the room during the exam.
- ❏ Have a fully charged cell phone ready to link to the same Zoom meeting to use to scan the room for the VE team and to be placed to observe you during the exam.
- ❏ Be sure the phone audio is off and computer speaker audio is on.
❏ Practice for your exam: It is your responsibility to be fully prepared since you will be taking the time of 3 or more volunteers . Use an online practice site to practice all topics and to take randomly selected 35-question practice exams. Be sure you are consistently scoring well above the passing grade before you schedule an exam. Some recommended sites:
–– HamStudy.org, a free site with lots of tips. It has an inexpensive companion phone app you can use on the go.
–– ARRL Exam Review for Ham Radio™, a free site from the national group that you may want to join and use for referencing a wealth of information.
Know the Rules for ONLINE Exams:
❏ Test Sessions: If you do not pass an exam and want to re-test for the same element. you must pay another $14 fee, typically we will put you back in the Queue for testing after we have tested the other waiting applicants.
❏ Certificate of Successful Completion of Exam (CSCE): The VE team will send you a CSCE that you keep when you finish an exam.
❏ Protocol for Online Exams: (Read this now. The VE manager will read it to you again at the start of the exam.)
- You must complete the test without any interruptions that would raise suspicion about the integrity of the testing environment
- You agree to keep attention on your computer screen at all times. Eyes may not wander to other parts of the room and you may not leave your chair during the exam session.
- You agree to use a single-screen computer or laptop. No other screens may to be attached or near your computer.
- You may not have visitors in the room. Family and pets must be kept out for the duration of the exam.
- If requested you will use your cell phone camera connected to Zoom to scan the entire room and exam area to show that there are no materials or people that could aid in taking the exam.
- If requested you will place your cell phone so that it views a larger area around your test environment.
- You may optionally pre-load on your screen a calculator app.
- You will NOT be able to use scrap paper, writing utensils, manual calculators, or any other kinds of assistance during the online exam.
- You must agree to share your entire screen with the VE team, not just the browser.
- You must agree that the exam session will be recorded and stored for a period of time in case of any question about a possible breach of exam protocol. Do you agree to be recorded?
- You must agree that if the VE team suspects that there is a possibility of a compromised exam. The Exam may be terminated and the exam fee forfeited, and you would be barred from taking online exams in the future.
At this point the VE Team will follow this procedure:
- Please show your picture ID, in the camera until every VE can verify your identity.
- Please use your phone camera to scan the room, all around, including ceiling and floor, under table and chair, a closeup of the computer, keyboard.
- if requested Please leave the phone on and propped up at a distance aimed toward the computer, so that it can view you and the the computer.
- Please share via Zoom your full desktop, not just a browser window.
- Please load and arrange a browser window and optionally position a calculator app next to it, and show that the calculator memory is clear.
- Please open your “Display Settings” to verify that there is only one video session running.
- Please type in the browser address field “exam.tools” to load the exam engine.
- You will join the test session with the session call sign WB5QNG and your 4 digit code
- The session manager will authorize the exam and let you in.
- When you finish the exam, you may check over your answers
- When you finish,then press the grade button.
- You are welcome to know your score, but there is no way to find out which specific questions you missed.
- If you are finished then you will be asked to review and sign the test documents 605 & CSCE once signed you are done!
- You are free to close your screen share and browser.
- The VE Team will then sign the 605 & CSCE to submit to the VEC They will email you the CSCE for you to keep for yourself.
- The VE Manager will explain the time frame for uploading your exam and when your license will appear in the FCC database.
- The VE Manager will explain how to reach out for any questions and encourage you to join ARRL and a local radio club for further learning opportunities.
- You are now free to leave the session.